Skip to content
Joe Denly played well in New Zealand without making a big score. He will hope to do that and score his first hundred in South Africa.
- Joe Root, an obvious selection as the captain. This is a big tour for him all England fans are rooting for him to keep up his form.
- James Anderson, we all know how good he is. However, he has to back himself to be fit for the Ashes your away in Australia otherwise he is wasting somebody else’s place.
- Jofra Archer, a disappointing tour for Jof. He has undoubted talent but needs to apply himself. Root needs to be clear in how he is going to use him he is more than just a bouncer merchant.
- Jonny Bairstow, I don’t know why he is back in the team. If he wasn’t good enough after the Ashes why is he suddenly good enough now?
- Stuart Broad, disappointing against New Zealand, however, he seems to enjoy playing against South Africa. Hopefully, he has a better tour.
- Rory Burns, he has shown he is a test match opener in the ashes and against New Zealand. Long may it continue.
- Jos Butler tweaked his back in New Zealand. Hopefully, he is back and ready for a big tour against South Africa.
- Zak Crawley, only 1 in his innings but hopefully he gets a chance against South Africa and makes an impact.
- Sam Curran looked England’s most threatening bowler at times. Will look to cement his place in the team in South Africa.
Jack Leach an average game in new Zealand and dropped for the last game. He will hope to bounce back.
Matthew Parkinson didn’t get a game in New Zealand. He will hope to do more than just carry the drinks in South Africa.
Ollie pope showed great promise with 75 in the last test. He will hope to cement his place in South Africa against a very difficult attack.
Dom Sibley a disappointing couple of games but will hope to back bounce in South Africa. If he fails in the first few tests I am sure Crawley will be knocking on the door.
Ben Stokes looked in goods form will hope to repeat his heroics of the last South African tour.
Chris Woakes was England’s best bowler in the last test. With lots of competition for places, he will look to have a few big performances.
Mark Wood still coming back from an injury from the world cup. He showed great potential against the west indies and will hope to replicate that form.