I am going to give my opinion on who should start against Kent in April for Somerset. I understand that this is before there pre season so I may do one after the pre season and I week before.
1. Marcus Trescothick because he is a consistent performer so may question his age and fitness but I believe he is fit enough but most importantly good enough.
2.Tom Banton because he has a lot of potential and I feel that he needs a prolonged run in the team and he did reasonably in the two matches he had last year and heaps of runs for the second 11.
3. Azhar Ali because he is our overseas player and did really well last year.
4.James Hildreth a veteran really but still consistent performances over the whole season.
5.Tom Abell the club captain I feel his captaincy has grown tremendously and his batting is consistent and he’s added another string to his bow in bowling as he got a hat trick in the last game of last season.
6.Steven Davies a consistent performer in championship cricket with the bat and behind the stumps who always seems to chip in here or there.
7. Lewis Gregory a strike opening bowler and hard hitting lower order batter who had excelled with the lions getting out international such players in India which as Rahul and Rahane although it was in the one day stuff I believe that still gives him very good confidence.
8.Craig Overton he has had a tricky time since the ashes last year with injuries and form but I believe if he keeps fit he will be a very good and potent wicket taker.
9.Jamie Overton a 90mph swing bowler a wicket taker he may go for a bit sometimes but he is definitely in the team for his wicket taking ability he had a very successful lions tour like Gregory.
10. Jack brooks a new singing from Yorkshire who brings experience and very good quality to an attack mainly a swing bowler so should be more potent early season.
11. Josh Davey a very good and reliable bowlers Like brooks who balances the attack well and last season was his best for Somerset talking lots of wickets.